I really don't know what to say about this ep. It was unsatisfying and troubling for me. This was either originally a two part episode of the British series chooped up or simply badly written. Here's a list of my many problems:
* It seemed to me that, in the teaser, they established some problems between the murdered girl and her father. Yet, these are never followed up on. Instead all we see is a grieving father who seemed to adore his daughter and inexplicably went psycho over his grief.
* While I could buy the father looking for somone to blame and Creegan being the most convenient target - how about addressing the fact had he gone with her to the train station, she'd still be alive? Instead he was throwing back beers and watching a boxing match.
* I don't think the father intended to kill Creegan's ex and children, but that was never really made clear.
* Where the hell was Branca during all this? Did the actress need some time off work? Because it made no sesne to me that while Creegan was dealing with all this crap she either a)was unaware or b)he didn't turn to her at all for support.
* Creegan sending his family away makes no sesne to me. I could understand the knee jerk reaction to trying to protect them, but never seeing them again?! This is the first time his family has been made a target, who says it will happen again?
And what about the children? *Maybe* they'll be physically safer. Yet, in doing that, they are left with the psychological scars of being abandoned by their father. Creegan's ex was just recently begging him to spend more time with the kids, it makes no sense she agreed to all this.
What did I like? I still like these characters. Even with shaky characterization and gaping plot holes right now, these people are still more fully developed and realized than much of what I see on TV.
Cyril, I adore Cyril and his friendship with Creegan - two broken people clinging to each other. And I loved Cyril's remark to Creegan that when he talks as he so often does, the pills really don't work. ;)
I hate feeling negative about this show because I so enjoyed the previous episodes and am looking forward to where it goes. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road. Even Buffy had those.